Since an insurance policy is a contract between the insurance company and the policyholder, the insurance company is obligated to defend and indemnify the policyholder. This means that your insurance company is supposed to pay valid claims for coverage, and defend you when you are sued for a covered activity. Sometimes, however, your insurer may deny coverage or otherwise refuse to assist you under the policy. Zeldes, Needle & Cooper’s experienced attorneys can represent you when your insurance company is not paying a legitimate claim, failing to properly defend you, or otherwise acting unfairly.
Some examples of bad faith insurance claims that we have successfully resolved for our clients include:
- Wrongful refusals to defend a covered liability insurance claim
- Wrongful denials of payment for covered liability insurance claims, or improper delays of payment
- Wrongful denials of payment for valid life insurance claims
- Wrongful denials of Individual long-term disability policies
- Claims against insurance companies for refusing to settle a covered claim, or making
inadequate settlement offers
- Claims brought under the Connecticut Unfair Insurance Practices Act (“CUIPA”), or other unfair practices claims
Although insurance policies can be complicated to navigate as a policyholder, our attorneys will work with you to understand your policy and your potential claims to ensure you reach a resolution. Additionally, under Connecticut law, your insurance company may have an obligation to defend you against a claim, even if the claim is not ultimately covered by the terms of your policy. The attorneys at Zeldes, Needle & Cooper are experienced in reviewing policy definitions, exclusions, and conditions, as well as making sure that you bring any claims against your insurance company in the time required.
Zeldes, Needle & Cooper’s attorneys have more than 40 years of experience serving clients throughout Fairfield County, including greater Bridgeport, Stamford, and Connecticut’s shoreline communities of Milford and Westport, as well as New Haven County. We can also assist you with matters in New York. Our goal is to build a relationship based on providing one-on-one professional guidance to ensure that you achieve a positive result.